PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2010, 14:00
ARRAKIS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, is there something like a "trial approach"?

Given the fact, that the weather was way below minima (airbase/pilot/aircraft), there was really never question about landing,
outside:

10:24:49,7
"[...]Visibility approx. 400 m and we estimate the cloud base below 50 m. Way below."

and 10:25:05,8
"We landed in the last moment. But seriously, you can try. Really. [...]"

Knowing that for a 2xNDB approach Tu-154M minima for visibility and cloud base are 1800 m and 120 m, I'm impressed.

The approach looks to be (probably) an "OСП + РСП", which is a 2xNDB approach with an additional, limited radar control/confirmation from ATC using RSP system.

From the RSP-10MN technical manual, distance measuring accuracy of the system is 150 m, but I would call it a "technical" accuracy. Still need to set-up/calibrate the system. RSP-10MN is a mobile one. As we remember, the actual distance measuring error was some 400-500m.
Also, from the same manual, RSP-10MN can be used (alone?) to bring aircrafts to the runway threshold when visibility is 1500 m and cloud base 150 m.

The more I go into the details, the more i understand how important was the readback by PIC to the ATC, especially given the weather conditions and the (in)accuracy of the system.
As there was no altitude readback by the crew, how should Smolensk ATC react? Go around?

Arrakis