PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line Training Is Destroying The Airline Pilot Industry
Old 28th Jun 2010, 12:32
SSTR Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McBruce’s post is the most sensible I’ve read on the subject in a long time – “The problem does not lie with the wannabes, it lies with us! the established guys in this industry.”

And I couldn’t agree more!

It’s YOUR Ts&Cs being eroded, it’s YOUR company eroding YOUR Ts&Cs, and it’s YOU who are letting them.

In the future, it will be the wannabe’s Ts&Cs, if and when wannabes get flying jobs. But until then, wannabes can only fall in line with what YOUR employers demand of them or offer them.

So quit blaming the wannabe, they do not have, and never will have, a collective voice in the industry, technically they are not even part of the industry yet! They have no influence over Airline recruitment or policy, and they can only take the opportunities which YOUR employers present to them….which at the moment includes SSTR and P2F.

However, you DO have a say. And your Unions DO have a say. But you choose to say all you have to say here on Pprune.

“The real cancers of our industry are those willing to pay their way onto the flight deck as they lack the character and quality to get there through normal means.”

Sorry, NO! It is the EMPLOYERS who accept P2F that are the issue here! Because P2F and SSTR are slowly becoming the NORMAL MEANS! And it is the EMPLOYEES who sit back and moan of diminishing Ts&Cs who are equally culpable. You cannot blame a company for trying to save money, even if it is at the expense of existing employee's if those employees let them. And you certainly can’t blame what is effectively a ‘graduate’ for taking an offer which YOUR airline is presenting to them.

Think what you like about Unite and BA, but there will never be pay-to-serve cabin crew at BA. The bottom line is that if you lot and your unions had any balls there would be no P2F/SSTR either.

All this P2F/SSTR/Flex-Contracts etc maybe short-termism, but right now it benefits the public because of cheaper tickets, it benefits the Airline because they can make more money, it benefits the government because the airlines are making more money, and it benefits wannabes because they can buy their way in. It’s a Win-Win scenario, so who’s complaining?….oh that’s right, you current Pilots.

So why do you expect someone other than YOU and YOUR union to stand up for YOUR terms and conditions !?

I don’t agree with P2F, I don’t agree with SSTR, but that’s where we are and it is YOUR airlines who are taking us there (our luggage is probably going elsewhere).

It is only the current pilots and their unions who can stop it, because EVERYBODY else, in some way shape or form, benefits from it.