PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many controllers leaving Australia?
Old 28th Jun 2010, 12:03
Plazbot

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Airservices Australia despises its workforce at all levels above that of the console dwelling controller. I read the AsA testing thread on here and I just want to type in huge letters 'RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK WHILE YOU CAN!!!' to all those poor suckers getting signed up today for an ever decreasing salary and conditions package.

EVERYTHING is always in AsA's favour and if not, they refuse to acknowledge the existence of any agreement be it collective or individual hand shake type arrangements. Retribution WILL be dealt if you are seen to be a spanner in the works of their plans no matter your reasons be they personal or otherwise.

I was quite happy at AsA in the grander sense for probably 10 years. I knew it was run by fools and made them fully aware I thought this but realy, did not care one way or the other and just took their money. Unfortunately for me, I left myself open for retribution one day. I accepted a position training elsewhere that I had not even applied for and due to circumstances, personal, related to the training and the trainers, I told them no thanks quite early on in the piece. My punishment was to be sent to Tops even though I had discussion as to my longer term ATC positioning that was certainly anything other than Tops. I told my new manager on Tops that I was decidedly unhappy with the idea and wanted out to which he advised that he would have me out in 12 months. 3 years later, I resigned when my new, new manager (actually may have been the 4th) told me that if I wanted out, and wanted him to do something for me, I had to do something for him. Appartently the 15 years of projects, instructing and specilist work did not count. I accepted my position overseas that afternoon.

In summary, if you do take a position as an Ar Traffic Controller with AsA or are currently employed as one, I guarantee that you WILL get shafted.... if you have not been already.

If you go looking, there are plenty of other jobs out there in the world. I had 4 to choose from when I took this one and dd not even throw my hat in the ring for the other 3 I was aware of.

I am not going to rehash the usual postings of those who have left with the justifications as to why but will just add that you may be extremely surprised as to what the rest of the world is realy like. It will very much be an individual experience as to whether that surprise is good or bad. Now, being on the otherside of the honeymoon period, I can quite sheepishly say that I am amazed I did not make a move earlier after accepting a gig and turning it down a few years ago.