PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New airline to serve MoD airbridge contract to Falklands
Old 27th Jun 2010, 22:28
wings11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saskatoon9999, thanks for your reply.

Do you know how many UK operators entered a bid after Globespan collapsed?

With respect your other point, it fails to appreciate the realities of the UK airline industry in the last year or so. An operator may well be able to get 2 Orlando rotations in the same timeframe but would they currently have enough pax to make any money on 2 rotations?

Contracts such as these are an important way for airlines to retain aircraft and crews, even if done at cost, to avoid the future potential expanse of recruiting and training new crews and obtaining extra aircraft if the airline feels their business may improve in 12/18 mths time and they want to be ready. This was probably Globespans motivation.

Balpa has a duty to speak up in these instances. They represent many now unemployed pilots in the UK. They should be lobbying government to advocate a British airline for MOD contracts if a British bidder was interested and if a British airline was not interested Balpa/MOD should be asking why not. I probably missed it but if anyone can detail Balpas efforts on this front it would be much appreciated. I only ask as I am on the verge of leaving Balpa (due to other recent action/inaction) and this may tip the balance.

Can you imagine the French MOD giving a similar contract to a non French airline?