PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2010, 20:58
fredjhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tow1709
I had no intention of continuing my experiences after flying training aind the Abingdond Crash, but Peter's fascinating stories, and the recent one about the locked control column, reminded me of the following:

One morning at Riccall I was told to collect a Halifax from the hangar and take it on an air-test. We were also authorised to fly out to sea for some air to sea firing by the gunners. As we were about to leave the dispersal, the Wireless-leader arrived and said he was going to give the Wireless operator a check-out in the air. I had walked round the exterior check with Doug Keane (F/E), removed the tail lock from the inside and stowed it, and removed the control locks which prevented me from getting into the pilot's seat.
The operation of all flying controls was normal. Then we started up and tested engines and did the mag.-drop check before signing the 700 and taxying out. It was a dual control aeroplane and I think F/O "Nick" Nock, the bomb-aimer was looking forward to handling it in the air. At full throttle "Nick" locked the levers and I pushed the stick forward to lift the rudders up into the slipstream.
At 100 m.p.h. I eased the stick back to lift off, but the stick only moved part way then locked solid. I pulled hard but it would not move and we were hurtling towards the hedge at over 100 m.p.h.
I always had my oxygen mask across my face and the microphone switched on for take-off so I was able to shout, "Pull on your stick, Nick, pull hard." He grabbed the dual control column and we both pulled together. There was a loud crack, the sticks came back and we shot into the air, - but far too steeply. Luckily we had speed to spare and, as we climbed away, I called again, "Now push!" The control columns shot forward and we dived towards the deck. Pulling back again we gained height, repeating the process and diving and climbing at ridiculous angles, until we reached 1,000 feet. The control column would not stay central for level flight, so we 'porpoised' around the circuit.
Flying Control had been filling my ears with questions as to what I was doing, but I had no chance to answer until I had pulled up wheels and flaps and settled down into a switch-back orbit of the airfield. Then I was able to tell them, and the very worried crew, that the control column was locking in the forward or aft positions, but it would not stay central. Doug Keane (F/E) and the Wireless-leader started checking the controls to the elevators, but everything seemed smooth and undamaged. Keane checked under the foot of the control column, then he went down to the rear to check the elevator assembly, but he could find nothing wrong.
The Wing-Commander and the Engineering Officer were now in the Control Tower offering advice and suggestions, but we could find nothing at fault. At last the Wing-Commander ordered me to bale out the crew over the airfield, fly to the coast, head the Halifax in a climb out to sea, engage automatic pilot and jump out myself before the coast. I repeated the order to the crew, who had heard it themselves, and ordered "Parachutes on. Prepare to abandon aircraft." At this the Wireless-leader announced that he had come aboard without a parachute. After telling him what I thought of him I told Keane to help me off with my harness and give it to the Wireless-leader, together with my parachute pack. The officer refused to take it. I said I was giving him an order to take it, but he said he would never jump. The crew then said that if I had to stay on board, so would they. Meanwhile the Commanding Officer was asking why I was delaying and I had to tell him about the Signals officer. The C/O repeated the order, but it was no use.
I climbed higher and told 'Nick' I would need his help in an attempted landing, so first, we would practise landing above cloud. We throttled back all four engines and dived steeply towards a cloud then, when I called, we pulled back together on the stick. After two or three trials I was ready to land and I got reluctant permission from the ground.
We did our undulating circuit at 1,000 feet and turned in at the same height, but with flaps and wheels down.
I held height at 600 feet until we were almost over the edge of the field, then I cut all four engines and let the nose drop into a steep glide.
The fire engine and the ambulance were moving slowly forward by the A.C.P.'s caravan. The A.C.P. ( Aerodrome Control Pilot) got out of his caravan and retreated to a very safe distance as we plunged towards the end of the runway. I glanced across at 'Nick' and saw the sweat pouring off his face. When I judged the time was right I shouted "Now! Pull!" We heaved back together. The column stuck for a moment then cracked right back and the Halifax was running down the concrete on three wheels in as smooth a landing as I had ever done. I shouted, "We are down. We're O.K". 'Nick' released his seat and disappeared.
I taxied up to the Watch Office where the Wing Commander was instantly aboard. As I switched off he appeared by my side demanding to know what the trouble was. I was pinned into my seat by the column, which was hard back, and it took both of us to shove it forward to release me.
The fault was, I believe, that a plate in the tail assembly was jammed by a loose object, probably a nut. Some years after the war another Handley Page aircraft, a development of the Halifax, dived into the ground in Oxfordshire, and the cause of the crash was attributed to a loose object in the tail assembly.
The Wing Commander asked if I wished to prefer charges against the Signals Officer, or would I leave it to him to deal with the matter? I did not wish to get involved with a Court Martial so I let the WingCo deal with it. When I made my statement of events I left out references to his refusal to bale out and dealt only with the mechanical problem.
The crew were very impressed with my ability to make a "dead-stick" landing of a Halifax, but I pointed out that, without help from 'Nick', or some other member of the crew, I would never have got the stick back.
There were many stories in PoW camp of Aircrew who refused to bale out, - they preferred death by fire or impact!
Sorry to break the thread. fredjhh.