PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Engine Ops: Who's Responsibility?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2010, 19:59
hostile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be nice to go and look long term records of accidents and compare them between singles and twins. What I would like say is that helicopters have a lot of single parts, which will broke also. Major parts are at least: tail rotor, Gearbox(es), rotor system itself etc.
First thing is go and look where to work and how the company manage all services. Also pilots have a responsibility to operate aircraft's by the manuals as well. All limit exceeds are bad news and if you do not have any kind of flight monitoring systems (like most older single engine helicopters don't have) will reduce your safety. That's why you need to be honest, if it happened accidentally. I don't believe anybody exceed limits for in purpose anyways. Single engines are very reliable nowadays, if you look flight time records. That's imaze me, but it is true. All big sight-seeing companies basically use singles and they flies a lot. Offshore is the other operation for singles. Reason for using singles in some part of areas are small platforms where you cannot build a big helideck for twins. Well' you can use EC135's or other same size aircrafts, but operational costs are total different then. Money might be the only reason to use singles, but they can be safe.

Hostile