PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quick Question re Routing to Alderney
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2010, 13:39
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would vary your route.

Fly GWC dct St Catherines point (southern tip of the I of W), dct to the IFR point just to the east of ORTAC (I cant recall the name and havent got the chart in front of me). The IFR reporting point is on the edge of the airway. That way the whole route is outside the airway and clear of all the eastern danger areas. If you look at the chart and draw a line between St Catherines point and East of Otrac staying clear of the airways and the danger areas you will see what I mean. You can therefore pretty much go as high as you like (which always makes sense) and it is just about the shortest crossing. Report before 50N and they will either ask you to continue towards the Cap or give you vectors straight away.

Its the best route outside CAS and I have been that way many times if not IFR.

You should get a LARS from Bournemouth for most of the crossing and then a radar service from Jersey zone.

You will find Jersey zone will often take you though the zone quite low (1,500 feet) so be prepared for that and dont hesitate to ask for higher.

Your route will work fine but it is a much longer crossing and you need to check the danger zones are cold.