PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2010, 11:05
Winch-control

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johno said (and sorry mods, I don't know how to make a link...)

If i was a union member who had lost staff travel i would be going mental at my BASSA rep demanding to know what they were going to do to reinstate my travel or ay for it as i had lost it " under advisement" from them.
Quote is from johnowhiskeyx today at 10.39 pprune time.

Just another couple of thoughts..

If a perk is withdrawn, after advisement, then what is the way forward, and what are the consequences of persuing the same road?
Given that Bassa/Unite have actually formally drawn breath on this one may be an enlightenment. Time will tell.

If you were to sack, for example 10,000 cabin crew, and look at re-employing, 10,000 cabin crew the next day/minute, what would the cost be? Assuming those you sack are earning 25k basic, and those you go on to employ earn 11k.

There has been a lot of talk about the standard of service BA offer; yet it is proven (previous posts that BA CC do not feature in the top 5 airlines for customer service). So that becomes a red herring. Just what does your extra 13k a year give you? Not safety as all are trained to the same standard; not experience, as few have been involved in an a/c emergency (and I know this has been done to death so please dont go there).

Ah but the cost of living is higher in London? Ok so give the job a London weighting, lets call it 10% above market value...

Tightslot: if I quote from other forums in the future, I will include the link . My apologies.

Betty girl: I have read all posts on both the CC forum and this one since October last year. I have read all of your posts. Mine was not an affront to you personally. I did not introduce UK politics to the thread, I merely replied. I did not take your post out of context. I did use your post to highlight how inadequate (in my opinion) a labour government has been for the UK. I will not comment on (UK) politics here again; and if it is of any help I was surprised at the post you made in light of your previous posts. I do respect you as CC working for BA, whether or not you support Bassa/Labour/any other party or union was never an issue. I do not make any judgement, it is only an opinion that I profer.

Litebulbs: As I found out recently on changing jobs, there is no requirement to be part of a union (although pressure may be applied to join). You have to way up the pros and cons. Again as has been said previously, in this day and age it may well be better (and cheaper) to go for an individual agreament, rather than a collective (union) 0ne.