PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 27th Jun 2010, 08:51
Nutjob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caribbean Boy

Ava, it's only a matter of time until you cannot afford to commute, so you will either have to resign from BA or significantly reduce your standard of living. Either way, you will suffer. Striking will make your situation worse, not better. If Unite had accepted the Way Forward Agreement you would have got your staff travel back for commuting.

Blaming Willie Walsh is just a cop-out, both you and Unite are responsible for your situation.
Spot on, and the most unfathomable thing for me is that Ava and her ilk haven't even paused, taken stock and realised that striking has ALREADY made their situation worse.

1. Their beloved BASSA have forced BA to introduce MF (where sensible negotiation and sensible cost-saving "gives" would have given BA little incentive and no valid reason to do so)
2. Strikers have lost staff travel and are having to set up and fund their own "Crewdefence" because UNITE won't help (knowing it's a lost cause). More money down the pan for strikers.
3. Strikers have lost anything up to a month's pay and allowances
and
4. BA now have a huge workforce of VCC (from all parts of the airline) and temps with which to undermine any subsequent strikes.

And before the strikes?
1. NF/MF off the table
2. Everyone had ST
3. Strikers hadn't had to lose pay & allowances
3. No temps / VCC's.

Congratulations BASSA, you gave WW everything he could have hoped for and more.

It's gonna be a long, cold and expensive wait to get those wish-list points (ST, disciplinaries etc) back.

But please, disagree with me and tell me what positives BASSA have achieved. Also, for the record, the strikes were NEVER about NF/MF (they couldn't be legally) so don't start the "now look what's happened, bloody scabs" argument. It's fundamentally flawed. NF/MF is a direct consequence of you striking!