PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line Training Is Destroying The Airline Pilot Industry
Old 27th Jun 2010, 08:13
m500dpp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting first post!

Non pilot so feel free to delete if appropriate.

Whilst I understand where you are coming from I'm really none too sure what can be done to prevent the downgrading of pilots/FO jobs. Its happening in virtually all industries as companies sole interest is making money they will seek any way they can to cut costs.

Remember your local bank manager 30 years ago? A person of some standing in the community, and a highly paid senior manager? Many branch managers today are clerical grade and even those on managerial grade are on the lowest tier.

Long standing wedding photographers are currently moaning like hell about amateurs encroaching on "their" world, the fact is there are fewer barriers to entry these days and most photographers have to work a damn site harder to earn their living.

As an outsider I have seen quoted on here wide ranging salary bands for Pilots and FOs (approx £55k up to £200k and more). From a harsh financial point of view, a pilot who has 5 minutes experience, is equally able to take an aircraft with passengers from one place to another, and why would a company in a fiercely competetive market want to pay the top end.?

What you are proposing is to artificially keep pilots pay above a market determined rate, and whilst that has merit, I am afraid its futile as market forces alone will determine what future pilots are paid. The simple fact is if there wernt enough FOs seeking training then companies would have to pay, as it is there are lots seeking the experience so we have them paying to fly.

As for telling passengers, a newly qualified pilot is still qualified......so no...

(I really dont like the business world we are in today, but that wont make it go away so we have to deal with it)