PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New airline to serve MoD airbridge contract to Falklands
Old 27th Jun 2010, 07:31
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New airline to serve MoD airbridge contract to Falklands

Heard a rumour about this, not sure if its hangar talk but hopefully someone may shed some more light.

I was told that with the demise of Globespan the MoD had to find a replacement quickly to continue to the flights via Ascension Island. As a result they opted for Air Mauritius despite not insisting they employ any recently unemployed pilots on the ACMI contract.

A former Globespan employee approached the MoD with a proposal that a new UK company could be formed to facilitate this route. He asked for an extra few days from the cut-off for the bidding process (I understand it was for CAA/AOC/Sub hiring issues and red tape). MoD told him no and it was scuppered - well at least until the Autumn of this year when the contract is up for renewal with Air Mauritius.

Regardless the MoD may wish to explain why no caveat was given to Air Seychelles regarding UK based pilots when so many were made redundant and the direct experience at flying the route available. BALPA may also be party to not advocating this too, I'm not sure of their involvement.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Last edited by Dreamshiner; 27th Jun 2010 at 18:59.