PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2010, 16:47
MUFC_fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
together with a very constraining contract signed at LPL.
It is illegal under UK and EU law for easyJet to sign a contract with Peel or whoever now owns the airport stating that MAN won't affect LPL.

It's a misconception that people have been sprouting on this site for a number of years. Firstly it was that easyJet couldn't operate into MAN at all, then as soon as the airline took over GB Airways and confirmed MAN would remain a base it changed to not restricting LPL growth!

The there was ever attempts to put a contract of this sort into play, MAN would have swiftly noted the Competition Commission who would have had a field day. How on earth people think that a company can sign a contract saying they won't use another service is ridiculous!

One of Pprune's longest lasting and most popular gems of cr*p - and there are many!

With the DSA aircraft comming over in Jan, that would be number 6 for MAN, that means 4 more aircraft due by the start of 2012 if MAN is to have 10 frames. As a rough guess, Id expect aircraft 7 to arrive not long after the DSA frame arrives (maybe an ex NCL one) then 3 more added for summer 2011, keeping the fleet at 10 for winter 11/12. Does that sound reasonable?
Jan 11 - 6
Mar 11 - 7
Apr/Jun/Jul 11 - 9
Mar 12 - 10

That would be my guess, certainly the 10th coming in March 2012 - maybe even the 9th!

On another note, AA are being courted by DFW to serve MAN, so DFW could be for AA what ATL is for DL from MAN. Good connecting flights to south America, and good access to the southern states.
Would be very interesting and a likely addition post-ATI. However, would a 767-300ER be economically viable or would it be better to wait for the 787? I would certainly expect this to come with the introduction of the revolutionary aircraft.

I also believe that MAN will be one of the main benefactors of the 787. LHR is full, London as a whole is pretty much full now thanks to Cameron and co. The only way that the UK can supposedly "open for business" is for it to be sent via MAN! The 787 will make PEK, PVG, HKG, DFW, NRT etc. all viable links to the city. I'm not saying I expect them to arrive! I am just saying that they would certainly become more economically viable.

I dont think Easy are an airline who would bow to
Airports asking for certain routes - but I could be wrong!
Surely an airline is looking to make money Easy-ly (!!!) and
not invest in previous discarded routes which are much harder
(costlier)to establish and failed.
Surely people who are worried that duplicating routes at MAN
would kill them - Ryanair or Easyjet.The results are the same -
or does prejudice operate?
As you say, airlines are there to make money, not just to satisfy an airport's ego.

The main problem for Ryanair in the NW is that easyJet are growing a considerable dual base, taking marker share and reducing the impact of the Irish airline which has a policy of being very in the face which it needs as part of it's marketing strategy. Remember easyJet's plans for an MAD base? Ryanair were quick to follow. However, it could be argued that easyJet has a dual base in Paris yet Ryanair don't seem to want to commit yet have probably their busiest non-base there. Maybe something to do with the employment laws that easyJet find so frustrating over there?

The only way for Ryanair to combat easyJet's growth it to look into expanding in the region themselves. Liverpool is unable to support a number of routes that Ryanair would probably want to operate from the region. MAN would most likely offer the airline 12 months subsidies as with most based carriers and would also insist on them paying their way as they did before. Just look at Valencia - Ryanair do backtrack!

This could become a situation not seen before in Europe: an airport holding Ryanair hostage.

It all comes down to how much Ryanair want to commit to the North West, the UK's second largest region...interesting times lay ahead!