PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76 down in the North Sea (Threads merged)
Old 29th Jul 2002, 17:44
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool In reply...

To: Hoverman

1) What exactly do Sikorsky or their approved overhaul agency do with a blade that has been hit by lightning??
magbrake asked the above question and I responded. Perhaps there are other members of this forum that would like to respond to the same question. Maybe they could finesse the answer but the content of their answers will be similar to what I said in my response.

I believe that my entry into this thread was in response to a post that stated that the main spar of the rotorblades was made of Titanium. I posted some peculiarities of Titanium and another post added to it and in essence supported what I had stated and it went from there. I never stated that the lightning strike was the cause of the failure although it was alluded that I in fact did make those statements. My reference to the effects on Titanium by low or high voltage is that it would be noticeable at the point of attachment. My comments were in support of the AAIB investigating the relationship of the lightning strike to the fatigue failure of the spar. Up to now it has all been conjecture both on my part and the parts of the other contributors of this forum.

Last edited by Lu Zuckerman; 29th Jul 2002 at 17:55.