PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2010, 15:09
GreatBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mm43, thanks for the detailed explanation re ACARS; makes sense now.

The upset clearly began at or slightly before 02:10. It is fortuitous that the 02:10:34 location message (sandwiched into the long string of dire warning messages) pinpoints where the event was happening. As HN39 and sensor_validation point out, and as inferred from the WRN messages, the aircraft was no longer in controlled flight under normal law.

I am becoming even more convinced, now, that at 02:10 at the Last Known Position the aircraft was in a vertical descent with no forward motion along the track towards TASIL. Which brings me back to the Searches. First, the unsuccessful search for the pingers, which DID cover the area of the Last Known Position but heard nothing, though there has been some re-working of the Emeraude's data which briefly took the search many kilometers southwestward. Then the unsuccessful Phase two and Phase Three sonar bottom searches. Here is the summary:

Grizzled, couldn't agree with you more! The FDR and CVR are critical to understanding. Imagine the collective unease of passengers and crew cruising straight and level in the coffin corner, mulling over Bearfoil's gloomy thesis that among the automatics, the structural technology, CRM, and the hand of God is a deadly unknown Dragon waiting to bring the aircraft down. It's a Dragon we need to characterize through the lens of the FDR and CVR and whatever wreckage might be found. To be prepared against its appearance (again).

Hopefully a Phase Four search effort will focus more on the area of the LKP, where the seabed has not yet been searched. Been a while since we have heard from the BEA, but I cannot believe they will discontinue the search efforts, leaving us all to worry about this Dragon.

GB