PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - scam email to wrong address
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2010, 12:52
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last week, one of my e-mail addresses, not one that is in regular use as it receives so much spam that Orange's spam filter can't cope, received an e-mail. It was correctly addressed and mentioned me by name. It advised me that my new laptop had been dispatched as instructed and my account would therefore be debited by $1100! eh? - I would expect my bank account to be debited by so many GBP, but naturally no account details were mentioned as the e-mail was insecure!
It is very hard not to take any action when receiving such an e-mail, particularly as I had no knowledge of placing such an order and certainly had no intention of my bank account being debited with an unauthorised sum! Naturally the e-mail contained links to contact te "vendor". Unfortunately I failed to resist the temptation to investigate the link given and on clicking on it, Avast immediately informed me that a website was attempting to download a trojan onto my computer. Thank heavens for a fully updated Avast! Naturally, no attempt has been made to debit my account with $1000 or any other unauthorised amount!

P.P.