PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 26th Jun 2010, 12:19
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Stiffco.
Have you actually worked out how much someone earning 11K actually takes home.

I know that we do not spend all our allowances on food that is why we get taxed on over half of it. However these new crew will struggle because their basic is so low (especially as they need to live in the LHR area) they will need to take home a great deal more of their allowances to make ends meet.

It is not a sob story for me at all as I am current crew. I do however feel that this is not a good starting salary for anyone whatever job they do and whereever they might work.

I know that flight crew get taxed on 20% of their hourly rate of meal payment allowance but I also know that for Gatwick cabin crew theirs are taxed almost the oposite way around. Due to the recent audit by the tax man LGW had their meal payments taxed more because they had found it hard to show they were spending it on food and the reason for that was because they needed to take it home because their basic is so low, although not as low as New Fleet. Presumably the tax man will treat the New Fleet crew this way as well. So all in all anyway you look at it, this is a very poor wage the new starters will be on.

That was all I was saying. No sob story. Just sad for future crew. That's all.