PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal crash of Puss Moth CF-APK Italy 1933
Old 26th Jun 2010, 11:13
Kevin Lindeberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bert Hinkler

Sir George

In 1974 I visited Mount Pratomagno, Italy, in the company of the Arezzo Aero Club (then) President, Prince Amedeo di Savioa, and one of the carbon collectors who found Bert Hinkler's remain in April 1933. I was shown where he attempted to land his Puss Moth and where he died, some 80 metres down the mountainside from his demolished aircraft.

Bert obviously walked or crawled that distance.

Together with Prince Amedeo, we marked both spots with markers. They may still be there.

I have long been associated with Bert Hinkler, and still have connections with the Bert Hinkler Museum in Bundaberg Queensland. This connection came out of my friendship with Ted Wixted, a great Australian

There is no doubt that Bert was attempting a crash landing. He did not fly into the mountain through error.

Compelling evidence exists showing that one of his propellers broke off in flight. By any measure, an extraordinary event. The events which followed surrounding his funeral and his personal affairs were equally extraordinary and give rise to the view that his crash was not unexpected by certain people.

What was equally unexpected however was that Mussolini would accord Bert a State Funeral. His remains are in a Florence cemetry.