PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracing back a WWII RAF pilot
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2010, 09:16
Jimbo27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another tip,
If you are using the London Gazette website to search for him, it can produce odd results.
The text has been scanned using OCR software, sometimes there are problems with the typeface etc that make searches fail.
I've also had more joy scanning for a service number than a name, unless he had a rare name.

Books available:

Honour the Air Forces - Maton - A list of all air gallantry recipients for WW2, (although apparently some late post war ones are missing) Useful shortcut because it gives you the page number for the LG.

DFM Register - Tavender - All DFM recipients for WW2, bar foreign awards. Has copies of the recommendation for nearly all. This is worth having because it often gives more detail than gets printed, for example one may say something like, "On the night of 26 June" the other may say "One night in June" It also sometimes has the comments of the OCs who approved the award. Also has the National Archive reference so you can go and look at the document.

DFC Register - Carter - All DFC recipients awarded until 1995. Has only the text of the LG, if the LG has a citation the book will.

I’ve got copies of these, happy to help…I suspect Old-Duffer may have too

Good luck,

Jim