PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracing back a WWII RAF pilot
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2010, 05:20
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Records

Dear Rwy Insight,

I have a record of all DFM citations and you can have a copy of the text for this one.

If his DFC was awarded as an officer (not as a WO), his service number will have changed from his DFM award. Whilst I have a record of all DFCs, not all come with citations and they require a bit more digging.

Sqn associations are a good source for tracing his mates etc and if he was in a 'famous' sqn, there might be a published history (or several if it's 74 sqn!!).

If you want to send me a private message then I will see what I can do re citations and shall be at the RAF Museum's research department in mid-July and can look at the Air Ministry bulletin, which will show a citation if the award was 'immediate', rather than awarded for a tour of ops.

Hope this helps. The previous posts are all valuable info - there is now a shed load of stuff available, the problem is finding it. The Freedom of Information Act - introduced by 'Teflon Tony' - actually impedes research in some cases and led to masses of info being destroyed as I understand it.

Good luck with your research into this gallant gentleman's service life. Is he still with us by the way?

O-D