PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Powerline maintenance helicopters
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2010, 04:48
AW139 Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicopter Static Grounding Device

Back in the 1990's I was working with Vancouver Helicopters that used the Bell 206 and 206L the fly the inspection / repair crews of the provincial power authority and drop them on & off the top of powerline towers. I designed and certified a static grounding device that has now been adopted as a requirement by the local power companies performing similar work.
What it did was it equalized the static differential between the top of the tower and the helicopter as it touched down on top of the tower frame, thus reducing the static shock hazard when the tower inspectors stepped out of the 206 and contacted the tower as they hooked up there safety belts to the tower.

There was always the worry that if a worker got a severe static shock it may incapacitate his ability to get his safety belt connected and he may fall while dis embarking the helicopter.

It is a rather simple device and can be locally manufactured. If your company is seriously considering landing on towers I would recommend it.
I am not interested in building more of them as there is no money in building and certifying anything these days unless your making a large quanity of them and charge large $$$$. I no longer have the time the build mods any more.

If your serious about it pm me. I will forward a sketch to any legitimate company, please though no wanna be's

Last edited by AW139 Engineer; 26th Jun 2010 at 04:51. Reason: spelling