PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Male passenger sues BA
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2010, 18:09
sixmilehighclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a flight 5 years ago, I spotted an UM sitting next to male passenger. I asked a colleague (European language being her mother tongue) if she had seen him board with anyone. She went off and in a very strong accent said to him - "I must move you in case you interfere with this boy". Once the poor guy had moved and she and the boy were out of earshot I then follwed up her rather diplomatic approach, explaining to him that it is a rule to protect him. For example, if the child fell asleep and the man needed to jump over him to get to the lav. Or, if he dropped his book on the floor and leant down to get it, accidentally brushing the boys knee or hand, the boy could tell a guardian and it could be misconstrued. So we try to remove all risk of any false accusation or misunderstanding. (Or words to that effect).

I have had to move four gentlemen in the past, (its not always an allocation issue, they have mostly just swapped seats to allow couples to be seated together and landed themselves next to the UM).
I always try to phrase it so it seems we are looking after their best interests, all have been very co-operative and understanding so far.

It is something not taught in training, how to approach the situation.

The other delicate issue is an obese passenger in an exit row (not allowed).
Best tip from me - they are probably obese if they request an extension seatbelt. I politely say that extension seatbelts (same for babies) are not allowed at emergency exits (maybe they could become a trip hazard in an evacuation?). Sometimes the seats are more comfortable further back anyway because the armrests are movable between the seats whereas the exit armrests as as a rule aren't always.

Six