PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So, Let's open a can of worms....or at least speculation (ME Airlines future musings)
Old 25th Jun 2010, 13:44
nolimitholdem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despite the moaning I don't think the Yanks will go home. The reason being is that aviation in the US is so unstable, why leave a ME carrier where you would be assured of a job or go back home to be retrenched in 5 years time and earn a real crap salary.
Respectfully, disagree. It isn't just a question about stability/instability, it's a whole raft of factors. That all boil down essentially, to: employment instability in the First World, to job security (which in itself is a bit of a mirage) in the Third World.

Many of the RJ boys will stick around to try and get their command on some "heavy metal" and once they have over a 1000 hrs PIC they'll go and work for an airline that will allow them to commute, i.e. Korean, and live in the US
I'm sure you're correct in a few cases of BJE-types (*Big Jet Envy, ie the A380 FO who wouldn't admit he formerly flew an RJ until pressed). But for the most part that would be piss-poor risk management and most guys realize it:

-moving goalposts for command
-uncertain upgrade times due other factors (fleet plans, company whims, EGT's interviews, etc)

So years in the Pit in a "secure" job in the HOPES that maybe Korean or the like will be hiring by the time an aspirant meets the arbitrarily-changing upgrade prerequisites. And Korean (if hiring) calls them, and they are successful in the interview.

I personally think that if US hiring rebounds even slightly we'll all hear a lot fewer US accents on the radio, pronto...nothing like working for Emirates to help one to lower one's expectations!