PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C207 lands short at Coffs
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2010, 13:20
VH-BCY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distance from runways

AN3-bolt, yes I have flown the skycoffin. In fact, I use to own this very C207 and have flown many fully loaded skydive ops in it.
The point I was trying to make was simply there is nothing wrong of being a little higher on finals than a bit lower. As far as I know in this particular example, he was over 4000 feet and not far from the runway after being told there would be a delay in clearance. It was also not fully loaded. Only 5 POB and enough fuel for 1 sortie. I could be wrong with the information I have, but he should have made it easily, especially since there was a problem before the engine actually stopped(sorry H). He was only about 200 metres short.
I learnt to fly in ultralights where having an engine stop was only a matter of time not if. I was also taught that apart from initial takeoff and climb out, that you should be able to make the runway or at least somewhere close enough to make a safe landing in the event of an engine failure. What is wrong with this mindset? Too often circuits are done out of the range of most singles if the fan decides to stop.
HL, what do you mean by your comment "Did you learn to fly with the guy in the hangar next door to you?"