PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2010, 13:57
ChicoG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe it's only me, but if BA can recruit cabin crew at these much reduced rates, it ought to send a message to the old hands on inflated salaries that they need to justify their much larger packages.

I'm not doubting or criticising for a minute the added value that comes with experience. There will doubtless be many long serving cabin crew whose experience is vital to the smooth running of the operation.

However, not everyone chooses to learn from experience, and certainly it's my belief that there are plenty that benefit from the rewards of "seniority" when all they've really done is hang around doing the same average (or worse) work and benefited from a structure that rewards them just by being there for another year.

What news of these new entry level positions should do is encourage the long timers to amply demonstrate why their years of experience are of extra value to the organisation and justify their packages.

What it will do to many of them is make them look over their shoulders and go running to BASSA for protection that they don't deserve.

Perhaps there is a correlation between the number of strikers and the number of surly, unhelpful BA cabin crew reported on many forums, and which appears supported by many people here and elsewhere who have reported an enjoyable flying experience when they are not around?