PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 24th Jun 2010, 12:16
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selective ballot

I'm not cabin crew, but am in the industry (ATCO), so please allow me one question as the subject seems to have been skipped over because of the new vacancy adverst...

If Unite are selective in who they ballot, how will this work? What will they count as a percentage?

i.e. lets just say that UNITE BA cabin crew numbers are 10,000.
Lets also say that 5,000 are balloted, and 5000 are not.
Lets then say that 3,000 vote in favour of a strike.

Does this then count as a 60% 'yes' vote (i.e. 3000 out of 5000) or does it really count as a 30% 'yes' vote (i.e. 3000 out of 10000)?

I really cannot understand how the union can decide who is eligible to vote and who isn't when all unite ba CC members are part of the union. I personally think that legally, it will be very easy to challenge if they were to claim 60% in the above example as it is not a true indication of the BA CC membership.

Balloting only some of your members is not only undemocratic, but it makes a mockery of the word 'union' and the principles behind unions.

Any reply on the legality will be appreciated - I will now retire and won't post again.

Thanks