PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS technology breaks Perth Airport gridlock...?
Old 24th Jun 2010, 09:23
ozineurope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey NB I was closer to the system than you might have guessed!

I am well aware of the foibles of Perth airspace and the route structure. There are many route structures that accommodate a lot more traffic than Perth experiences in an efficient (debatable) and safe manner. The traffic out of FRA is quite considerable and this is melded with Stuttgart, Munich, Berlin and Hahn departures also. Coupled with the overfliers who are transitting to UK, Russia, Poland and other Euro zone destinations the piece of sky above Germany would have the equivalent of Tues/Wed/Thurs traffic all combined into one 2 hour period.

My main disagreement with WARRP was that there was a lack of focus and no defined outcome. You may be surprised that industry involvement at the high end has several advantages and the, yes the focus is on minimising track miles/VNAV etc, but the dealings that I had with industry were productive and gained several advantages over a 'here it is take it or leave' process. But as a controller my focus was on minimising track miles too, with systemic safety at the forefront.
So dont design 2 STARs that are almost identical except for the last 20 miles and then give them similar names (CONDL v GOSNL), the whole process was designed to fit a time line rahter than undergoing a rigorous safety assessment and delivering the best outcome for ATC and airlines alike.