PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The next pilot strong pilot hiring cycle - independent study?
Old 24th Jun 2010, 08:29
stefair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus Girl,

I can only speak for myself but here's why I am where I am.

The airline screening I had early this year was with a German major flying in red colors. I failed the ATPL knowledge part so was sent home. Bummer. I had only five weeks to get my ATPL knowledge up to speed, which clearly was not enough. Applicants can try again after 24 months though.

The other job offer was with a GA company specializing in aerial photography. Fleet of aicraft were a twin and one SE. It would have been a permanent position with OK salary but with a bonding. At that time I had a freelance flying job, flying a twin as FO, so I was in the fortunate position of being able to turn it down as I just did not like the idea of being bonded. Tough call though as we all know the rule, never ever turn down a flying job.

Only one months later though I learned of a temp summer job flying a SE. Salary job. I applied, got invited and was offered the job. I was told 67 people had applied, most of which with lots of experience on that aircraft. No bonding, great location so I took it. Just before that I was offered another freelance unpaid SE job dropping jumpers.

I recently applied to a regional airline on the continent and had the written tests and sim ride recently. I passed that stage. Final interview is just around the corner. TR will start this year. On the day were six guys with me, two of which with rating but except one (did not get a chance to speak with him) none of them was being employed right now. One of the guys with rating had not even done anything flying related in two years!

Airlines hiring low timers, apart from RYR, are CLH, GWI, CFG, AB, LGW. AF is also said to be hiring again. Unfortunately, I do not know their requirements.

Best of luck.