PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Separation worry near Bordeaux?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 23:56
Doors to Automatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Separation worry near Bordeaux?

I was on a UK bound airliner this afternoon over South-West France.

As we passed to the East of Bordeaux heading in a roughly northerly direction an A320 whizzed past us going south-west at a range which I have never experienced before in over 800 flights as a passenger.

I am fully aware that aircraft may appear closer than they actually are, particularly from a passenger's perspective but I am convinced that the spearation was far less than the 1000 feet and 5 miles which I understand is the minimum.

I could read the airline name and see the tail and type clearly as it passed at a range which I would estimate to be no more than a mile from us (probably less) and maybe 300-400 feet above us.

Can someone reassure me (sensible responses only please as I do know what I am talking about when it comes to these sorts of matters) that we did not experience a near miss and that the separation was sufficient.

We didn't make any deviations off our flight path and I am sure that our crew both saw the other plane (it was clear) and had it on TCAS - it just looked WAY closer than anything I have ever seen before.

Thanks in advance for all sensible responses.