PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2011 recruitment
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 23:12
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fade to grey

what % of new CPLs will NEVER get an airline job
I personally know several CPL/IR MCC holders who have never flown anything outside of training; many returned to a previous occupation to pay the bills with the intent of returning to flying when 'things picked up' however got trapped by the responsibility of family and mortgages etc. When the market improved they simply couldn't afford to leave the security of their current employment. In addition, many are not 'airline material' in my view - they make it through training but have not a snowball's roll in hell of a chance of making it through an application form let alone an interview. I never cease to be amazed by the level of naievity and sheer ignorance demonstrated by many aspiring, student and freshly minted CPL holder's. Truth is those AirUK days are largely gone and the sort of opportunities that existed 15 to 20 years ago for the aspiring low houred pilot no longer exist. Most aren't interested in getting that first rung on the ladder through instructing and rightly so - they may not be suitable as instructors; many consider it to be beneath them (integrated grads that is). The harsh reality is that the large schools are not really training airline pilots these days - at least the selection procedure is not for airline employment, more for suitability to commence training for a CPL on a piston single with a view to obtaining a licence. You're on your own pretty much after that. You could draw an analogy with A320 rider's (Ronchonner?)
sandwich cheese at Mac Do
the 'sandwich cheese' looks very appetising in the picture and you are hungry; 'Mac Do' can make it and sell it to you but will it satisy your appetite? I doubt they particularly care.

But then those were the halcyon day's I suppose, as you say

generally took 2000 hours to fly a F50 !
I'm not sure most company's would stretch to that amount of training today! It didn't take that long to get to grips with the Citation did it?

Last edited by Reverserbucket; 23rd Jun 2010 at 23:25.