PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 22:20
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Dear ...

BASSA have put themselves and Unite in a right pickle. They have to include the poor souls at LGW who went on strike because otherwise they wouldn't get there staff travel returned in the unlikely even that BA caves in. However, there is a huge inconsistency in the way that the ballot has been called in that they are covering all of LHR but only a handful of L:GW. Whilst this may be legit, it does give the impression that the union has written off the prospect of any support from LGW. Not a good thng for Unite (remember, it's Unite that are calling the strike ballot, not BASSA or CC89) . Can they identify who went on strike ? I should hope so. Theyare supposed to have been paying striking crew £30 or £45 a day in strike pay. I would have expected them to have kept an accurate record for HMRC as to who they had paid. I believe that in order to get strikepay, crew needed to show payslips indicating that they had lost pay from BA. The sticky point will be if there are any staff at LGW who did not strike first time around, but did on the more recent days. A lot depends on whether BA has actually withdrawn staff travel from them. All told the ballot is on dodgy ground. Just depends whether BA can be bothered to make a song and dance about it, or whether they will just use alternate crew to once again break the strike (assuming that Unite can secure a majority).