PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed forces' operational allowance to be doubled.
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 21:31
minigundiplomat

Received 190 Likes on 73 Posts
I speak as a SH mate who, like the majority of my colleagues, has been shot at so many times I'm thinking of changing my name to Kennedy.

We should all get the same Op Allowance. We are all cogs in the same machine, and the recent years have exposed the 'slipper city' dwellers to danger such as rockets and mortars.

We face enough threats from society, enemies and most of all... the treasury, without turning on ourselves.

Nobody joins the military to get rich, we join for a myriad of reasons that often transcend mere monetary gain.

Those living in FOB's, or clearing IED's from the lanes of Sangin or Nadi Ali have my respect. They have the respect of the UK population. Most of all, they have self-respect.

Those living in KAF Vegas and working in the hat police or organising work parties to sandbag parking slots return home thinking they had a hard tour and did themselves proud.

Those who put themselves in harms way to help others, and placed their values above their comfort know they had a hard tour and did the nation proud.

They don't need an extra tier of payment, they already have priceless qualities that quite a few who have served on 'ops' will never understand.

Last edited by minigundiplomat; 23rd Jun 2010 at 21:58.