PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Off to University for 3 years. Should I get my PPL?
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 13:38
Poose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam02,

Just been reading your thread. You're going in the right direction...

It seems to me that a lot of people fail to realise that if you have a VALID qualification which is RELEVANT to your final career goal that you aren't doing anything wrong. My advice is to use the 'cheap' money that you have access to as a Student to get your PPL and hour build. Enjoy the flying and use the degree to attain a 'decent' job, ideally something relevant that will assist you in getting towards the Flight Deck.

Back in 2006 when I graduated in Mechanical Engineering I had two job offers within twelve months. Police Officer or Aeronautical Engineer. Both had comparable salaries, one was local and the other entailed a lengthy commute. Much as I wanted to crack skulls and eat doughnuts I had to decline my offer of a post in the local Constabulary as it was entirely irrelevant to my final goal. I took the engineering job and have made many useful contacts and friends off the back of that decision. My company even has it's own airline and flying club...
My current role has me laising with the Test Pilots of a large aircraft on a daily basis and being directly involved in the production of the Aeroplane Flight Manual and Operating Data Manual. It's very useful to be dealing with things in your day job that will directly help you in the future. Indeed, a lot of the ATPL content that I've covered so far, I had a greater understanding than that required because of my job.

In essence... You're doing the right thing and as a result will have a surer footing and healthier CV than some rich 19 year old with a fat wallet.

It's working for me!