PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The solution?
Thread: The solution?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 13:23
stansdead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Boy,

I am sorry that you have been stuck in the RHS. It is sh1t I know.

Look, let me reiterate again.... my remark relates very much to the individuals I fly with in a single base with 6 airplanes in a single company with 35 or so airplanes.

I am NOT having a go at over 50 y.o. FO's in general, I'm just saying to you what I find every day when I go to work.

P2F sucks, we all know that. But, ultimately most of these guys pass TRTO courses, base training, line checks/training and various other things before being allowed to scare very average Captains like me. From what I've seen, none of them are dangerous. The ones that are get chopped.

As for the older guys, well their situations are all different. But, they all have common traits: lack of understanding of modern FMC based airplanes, loss of SA when the sh1t hits the fan due to my first example etc etc.

The young guys are good technically, are keen to learn (mainly) and often are willing to listen. Sadly, some of our older guys do not want to do any of the latter and on a modern machine, such as an Airbus A3xx will, given the chance, get themselves and everyone else into serious trouble if not adequately supervised.

The young guys will easily make mistakes, but they have less to prejudge them on, so tend to be more cautious and less punchy.

Genuinely, I'm sorry things haven't worked out SO FAR for you. There is still time. Good luck.