PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Someone interested in becoming a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 10:06
wangus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm...... Please listen to coffin corner. Nobody can predict where this industry is going. I was one of the guys who was sold a fantasy by a flight school as I followed my dream also, and that was at 28 years old. Been qualified well over two years now, and never a single interview. I think many of us are guilty of seeing only the positive side of aviation. Flight training is an effective way to haemorrhage money.
I think you SHOULD advise your friend to complete a PPL. Hour building post PPL was the most enjoyable stage of my flying "career". VFR flying across the UK, the channel, etc., into grass landing strips, flying over beaches, doing wing overs, taking friends up, etc. All a lot of fun. That will cost circa £5000. Then decide if it's for you/him/her.
Just be aware how many unemployed, EXPERIENCED flight crew there are out there.

With regards to the 6 out of 6 comment getting Ryanair jobs, be aware of the initial expenditure. Look at this link please. Scroll down and note the type rating cost of 27,500 Euros. That is the redundacy payment effectively gone. I AM NOT SLATING RYANAIR, RATHER POINTING OUT THE TYPE RATING COST.

https://pilot.cae.com/Programs/Ryanair.aspx?prog=6

Financial Structure Assessment fee: € 350 Type Rating Course: € 27,500 excluding VAT Extra costs (travelling, housing, ID application, etc.): at cost, payable by student.

I'm still chasing the dream, because I simply cannot walk away from my hefty investment, BUT, if something else good comes up, I'll happilly put flying firmly on the back burner.

GOOD LUCK.