PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thor missile photos 1963.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 23:37
lynbarn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thor at 150 Sqn, RAF Carnaby

My father was stationed at RAF Carnaby, and was a launcher/navigator on Thor. He and his crew went to USAF vandenberg (on a luxury liner, SS Sylvania - those were the days!) for a test firing, and I remember that quite well - or at least I remember some of the goodies he returned with.
He was also on duty during the Cuban missile crisis, with his finger on the button. I also remember an open day (possibly at Driffield) where I was able to talk to Dad from a phone on one side of the launch cradle (were they bright red, I seem to remember?), while he was round the other side. He said the phones were there so that he could hear the countdown and knew when to push the button, although I suspect that may not be entirely true!

Dad passed away last week, and as part of a tribute to be shown at his funeral, I would like to show footage of a Thor (preferably in RAF livery) lifting off and into the sky - perhaps about 60 seconds-worth.

I have found some British Pathe footage, but this is rather short and disjointed, but I wondered if there is anybody who might be able to supply something suitabe for this one-off use?

Kind regards, Martyn, son of Leon de Young, RAF D4128566