PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What should I do
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 17:59
bobsawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I do

I am 17 years old and doing maths, physics and geography at A-level in the U.K. I think that, unfortunately, I may be colourblind but I am not sure yet, and will be getting a proper test done in the summer holidays.

I was hoping to become an airline pilot or an air traffic controller and have thought about this for a long time and really want to be one or the other even though i know they are two totally different jobs. I did my work experience at RAF Warton in the control tower, and had trips round Liverpool and Manchester air traffic control, and all three were very interesting. However, obviously if i am colourblind I won't be able to full-fill my dream in doing any of these jobs .

I have also read that if you don't pass the Ishihara plates test at the class 1 medical, then they also do another lantern test or something, what does this involve?

So I was wondering if I am colourblind what other jobs in aviation are there which could appeal to me?
AND if i am not colourblind do you think I should apply on a pilot's scheme or at NATS to become an air traffic controller, or neither and focus on a different career, due to the difficulty of getting into an airline at the moment?

Hope someone will be able to provide some answers for me
Thanks, Rob