PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB and Rudders
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2002, 01:37
wsherif1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NTSB and Rudders

Your statement, "The .8 G loading was after the tail departed." is open to question!

At 16:04.5 Rudder data becomes unreliable. The NTSB states, "The FDR shows lateral acceleration increases to 0.8g, yaw rate of 10 deg/sec. left bank through 25 deg. with pilot applying right wheel, pitch down to -30 deg.! The perfect description of a Dutch roll! Eye witness statement, "The right wing was perpendicular to the ground"!!!

You state, "The other G loadings that you list are not enough to even require a write up under the new AD against the tail." These other G loadings serve to illustrate AA 587's path through the vortex beginning at the fringes and then transitioning through to the core of the vortices.

You state, "If you had been following along you would also know that there is a problem with the rudder load limiter on the A300." I must admit that I pay little attention to all these comments about the rudder system as I deem them irrelevant to the cause of this accident.

The main control surface involved is the total surface of the vertical stabilizer and the rudder. This large surface area is now the major flight control surface on the aircraft and when struck by an enormous force broadside to this surface there is no other maneuver possible except an instantaneous yaw motion!

The rudder movements were the result of these broadside hits, first on one side and then on the opposite side. There were no pilot inputs to the rudder relevant to this accident!

Fraternally