PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 08:29
ltn and beyond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im now getting tired of hearing at work, "WW is trying to bust the union!, well he wont !!", as i have said to many other crew, I dont think he is trying to bust the union, he is a old union man himself so therefore understands the benefit of having unions in a large company like BA. What he does want, without any doubt to to take control of the day to day running of BA IFCE, an area that BASSA/CC89 have too much involvement. And its this that senior Bassa/CC89 reps dont like as it removes them from their nice little social club in CRC office flexing the union musscle!.

I have asked many times without answer, so i'll ask here, what is the role of the union? :

1.To protect jobs ?
2.To protect T&C's ?
3.To run the buisness ?

Personally I think its 1, followed by 2 but not at the cost of 1, but never 3 unless invited by the company.

I was involved in a conversation last week when a CC member told me she thought is was good I had not been a VCC, and said thank you for not doing her job,we had a grown up and informative conversation which was very refreshing and I was starting to think maybe some of the bad press the strikers are getting is wrong .But, then when I told her that because of her union strike as flt crew i had lost a number of trips and therefore a big chunk of allowances costing my pocket too, she just replied "well you basic is high enough, you can afford it" . I was amazed how someone who at first appeared reasonable and educated enough to be able to talk about all the isssues at BA would then just cast a flipant remark as she did. A true BASSA/CC89 suporter .

This type of selfish attitude is Im affraid what has turned off the support for the strike, from other working groups..