PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter accident rate - europe
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 07:00
VeeAny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Griffin Accident Database

this site is useful, not the gospel truth though.. some accidents slip the net
You will find that until last weekend [19 June 2010] I had managed to do no accident updates at all this year to the Griffin site, I have been too busy and the automated process was on a machine that failed in January, it got rebuilt on Saturday.

I have some help starting in July who will be filtering the media reports when time permits to give us a fighting chance of picking up most of the newer ones and putting some more recent historical data into the database.

I also plan to allow people to submit accidents for consideration which once confirmed will be added to the accident database.

None of these sites will ever be perfect, and getting accurate accident rate data will never be possible until we (as an industry) have a way to track how many hours a year our particular types actually fly, we can estimate it, but even in the UK which has a reasonably high helicopter population the data is nowhere near good enough to produce accurate stats from I am afraid, even if we knew about every incident. It might be possible to do for a subset like the the offshore industry where the big 3 operators could probably tally quite quickly the hours flown on a type in a period, but that doesn't cover everything.

We will never know about every incident as some are clearly covered up and never make it near an MOR or the AAIB.