PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Off to University for 3 years. Should I get my PPL?
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 01:25
adam02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I would update this diary style.

Here we go:

University wise - I finished my National Diploma in Engineering after requesting back a lot of year 1 work (2 year course) to redo to bump up my grades.

I busted my ass off and pulled some strings and got the grades needed to meet my conditional offer for Queens to do Mechanical Engineering, Happy as larry!

Flying wise - About a month ago I did my first official PPL lesson in a Cessna 172SP-G1000 up at the Ulster Flying Club, Newtonards.

Wow, what a day. Took my ma and m8 up in the back.

My instructor is cool.. He sat me down and asked me what I had done before aviation wise:

I told him I did about 30 minutes in a grob tutor, but honestly everything I know has come from FSX.

He whipped out a small wooden RC sized plane with working control surfaces

"Whats that" he pointed, I said Ailerons etc. He was happy enough and he knew that I knew the very basics at least.

So he turned round and said:

"Ok adam, I dont want to sit here and talk to you about whats going to happen, Id rather we get you in the aircraft and do it and go from there..."

Direct style I thought:

He then said "You're going to take off"

I laughed, My m8 (who needed convinced that flying was safe before hand looked ill).

So basically he talked me through the take off.

"Ease the throttle to full...Ok know at about 55 knots we get V1(cant remember) pull back on the controls".

Not a huge deal in hindsight but that's the kind of instructor he is, He throws you out of your comfort zone and tests you and see's how you react.

After talking with some of the staff and some other student pilots afterwards, they recommended That I take my lessons in the 152 as it was more back-to-basics and properly bare bones instead of the whole garmin GPS thing. and great to learn in, also way cheaper.

Last saturday I did just that, Myself and my instructor showed me a how to do a walk around and check for fuel, oil, all that jazz.

"Alright adam, Time to get in, hop into the left hand side there.."

I clambered into what I consider to be a cereal box. I'm not a big guy by any means but width wise me and the instructor were Siamese twins by the shoulders.

I'm not complaining, I love it. I was anxious at first because of how old it looked and how worn some of the interior was-

Chunks out of landing struts, cracked door panels, Control stick held together with cables ties, but it's still work horse of a plane as soon as we were up!

It was lesson #2 and we did straight and level. It wasn't easy I have to admit because of the turbulence and gusts but overall it went Ok.

Next comes the curve ball again from Mr. Brown.

"Ok Adam, were going to do an overhead join, which is the easiest and safest way to join traffic."

He then told me to fly a small circuit around the airport and get down to about 1,000 ft etc.

At that point I thought ok im going to fly around descending to 1,000 then he will "Have control", land it then I can go get a chicken fillet burger.

That was not the case.

Coming up to 1,000ft, he talks to the tower, "cleared to land"

he then says "OK Adam, bring back throttle and reduce airpspeed to about 65 knots for approach."

Me - "okie dokie.."

Im thinking , any minute now Il have to say "you have control"

We get to 65 knots and were at about 1000 feet coming into the last turn of the circuit for final approach.

"Ok adam, add 1 stage of flaps"

"Erm...Ok.." I said nervously.

He then tells me, "You're going to land."

"I turn my head sharply at him with a sorta "whatchoo talkin bout" glare"

He laughs.

"Dont worry, il talk you through it, add second stage of flaps, now final stage.."

We approach runway 04, which gets closer and closer, with my hands on the controls and his on his lap, I got nervous but adamant.

"OK maintain that attitude and let the plane come down"

We were about 50 feet off the ground at which point it got hazy and I can't fully recall what happens

All I can remember is the plane flares and he tells me to reduce throttle all the way.

I just pulled it straight out fast! BUMP!

The plane just dropped onto the runway, nothing serious, but I was startled:

my instructor seems fine

"Sorry..." I said.

he laughs- "For what?"

"I didn't think it would drop. I thought it would just glide like in FSX" I exclaimed.

he laughs again. - "Yes that was probably my fault, I meant to tell you to reduce throttle slowly, but you did good, not bad for your first landing, your over head join was spot on, you done it before?"

"Nah.." I replied. I felt warm and fuzzy inside, slightly disappointed with the bump, but overall pleased.

He explained to me that, throttle changes on landing will be more apparent because of the flaps getting most of the lift from the prop etc. Lesson learn't.

I'm very happy so far with my PPL training, I love the club and the environment.

I can book my lessons with any instructor but I've decided to stick to with the same guy throughout my PPL journey.

That's 2 hours now in my big black Jeppeson Pilot log book.

The novelty of filling it in ever so carefully hasn't worn off yet.

Writing in "EGAD" takes me a good 6 seconds of careful precise writing- Let's hope it stays that way for a long time.

Last edited by adam02; 23rd Jun 2010 at 11:59.