PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith: Do You Agree With The Mandatory Broadcast Area in Class E Above D?
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 00:11
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Frank,

So you actually agree with having a system that allows an aircraft to drill straight over the top of a busy CTR at 2500ft without talking to anybody?
Where did I say that? Strange, I don't see it anywhere.
I didn't say you did. Note the question mark at the end of my sentence.

I believe if you are transitting busy controlled airspace, the safest time is when you are exactly over the centre of the busy airport at 2500ft.
The LAX mantra again. That only works if the corridor is 90° to the runway. A380s, during a Missed Approach at LAX, have to DESCEND to 2000ft so they don't hit unknown, unnotified lighties flying overhead the airport.

one needed a radio to fly in CTR or class E
Yes, you do, that's why we support a Class D CTR/A at Broome. Re the Class E radio requirement, I'd like to know exactly what "Continuous Two Way" means for VFR. It's odd that nowhere else in AIP is it stated that VFR require radios in E.

if one was fitted you had to use it
That rule went out some years ago when the original CTAF procedures (which replaced MBZs) were dispensed-with and CTAF (R)s were created.

new regulations circa 3 JUN 2010 which made it compulsory to have and use radio in the vicinity" of any "busy" airport.
That applies only to non-towered Registered or Certified airports. Towered airports are covered by the other airspace classes.

I understand "in the vicinity" also has a definition.
A pretty sloppy one, a distance that is uncomfortably close to the airport as far as being clobbered from behind by the likes of me while I'm inbound.