PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss evacuates in Thessalonique
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2002, 22:19
Captain Stable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little less name-calling here would be well-received.

I was always taught that in cases of catastrophic failure, the cabin crew can initiate an evacuation.

Such situations include (inter alia) ditching, forced landing and fire in the cabin. It does not include a tailpipe fire.

Should the Purser/CSD/#1 suspect catastrophic failure, first action should be to contact the flight deck. The normal "three calls" rule would apply, I suggest. If the FD crew are a tad busy they can just say "Yeah - we're handling it - standby".

The cabin crew should only initiate an evacuation in such cases if they have reasonable cause to suspect that all up front are incapacitated.

In case of a problem, it is thoroughly dangerous for everybody to start taking action and making decisions affecting the lives of a couple of hundred pax without maintaining the best standard possible of CRM - and that means communicating. Such communication appears from what I've seen to have been sadly lacking in the reported case. However, I accept that the full story will not have been told yet.