PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Mekong in Vietnam
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2010, 21:15
eastboundndown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One perspective many of you are failing to consider is the fact that we are not competing with other expat pilots for contracts on this flying. Air Mekong does not, nor has is even tried to hire any pilot that is not currently flying on the ASA (Atlantic Southeast Airlines) seniority list. Period.

We ARE and WILL remain employees of ASA before, during and after this contract. We ARE NOT idependent contractors, and retain our seniority number for our return to ASA after the contract.

There are many things that still need to be answered by Air Mekong before anyone sings on the dotted line. With September approaching quickly they will have to be forthcoming with a contract or they will start to lose interest from many who accpeted the conditional employment offer (me included).

Let me be very clear. ASA pilots are not coming into this with the idea of it being a "13 month vacation". Although the pay is not where most other contracts are, many of us are weary of the stagnation here in the states, and see this as a way to get into a different aspect of flying. I for one think it will be a great experience to live in Vietnam and be a part of a new start up airline. I am however, aware that it will not be a bed of roses all the time. It will be hard work, but a challege that I look forward to.

I appreciate all points of view, and whether they be good or bad, they are helpful.

Air Mekong is brand new. Hasn't made one $dollar yet. Give us a year to get this thing going, and I for one will be on the front line to call for an increase in pay and COLA, to bring us in line with the rest of the expat contracts.

If any of you have any other thoughts or ideas of what we need to be aware of, what we need to get in writing from the company or just general hatred please keep posting! We need all the info we can get.