PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines are shooting at themselves with their minimum requirements!
Old 21st Jun 2010, 14:32
judge11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit of luck.........you have been blessed! (I'm sure many of us would be interested to know who gave you that first jet job, by the way). Good luck to you but in my experience that is an exceptional career path. I know many first class pilots and operators who have been in the industry for 10 years plus (and plus a lot in some cases) years who have not progressed beyond line training captain.

Right time, right place and a huge amount of luck are massive factors in 'getting on' in this profession. Ability, alas, is way down the list of pre-requisits for progression.

To all the 'newbies' and 'wanabees' looking at Bob's meteoric rise, that is exceptional in my experience. The industry is at rock bottom with little prospect of improvement in the next 18 months to 2 years and the backlog of not only those who have yet to get into an airline but also those with many thousands of hours who have been made unemployed all have to be mopped up, if they're lucky.