PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC situation in Spain
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2010, 10:17
30W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p_perez,

Firstly, as a professional pilot I find the working terms and conditions being imposed upon yourselves an absolute disgrace, and at direct conflict with the interests of Flight Safety!

Use the safety conditions of other nations to fight your case, as 10W suggests, looking at the UK SCRATOCH document is an excellent example.

I have always found Spanish ATC to be helpful and courteous - long may it remain

With regards to the examples quoted regarding priorties given to national aircraft, I can only say that on many occasions I have experienced exactly the same as them, not so much from ACC's, but definately from TMA and airfield controllers This gives an extremely poor pilot perception of Spanish ATC. This isn't necessarily fair, but it only has to happen a few times for a perception to be formed.

Before I'm shot down here by ATCO's for not knowing the 'full' picture at the time, on occasions you MAY well be correct. On many occasions the picture is indeed VERY clear. Examples:-

1. Having been followed 15 in trail by a Spanish aircraft for most of route, handed over to destination TMA sector in trail, followed by full STAR and huge speed reduction. National carrier behind instructed direct to Initial Approach Fix and told 320kt. Yes, we land number 2 to the national.

2. In the hold at LEPA only a few years ago, holding in progress for arrivals.
Spanish carrier 2 levels above in stack instructed to turn OFF transponder and given directions for leaving the stack. TCAS shows traffic dissapeared, and it's seen visually departing stack on approach sequence. It landed nicely ahead of foreign carriers holding.

I'm English, and work for a UK airline, but I do speak Spanish and as always all ATC/Spanish Carrier RT carried out in Spanish so that they think no one else knows whats 'going on'.... Unfortunately not always the case....

On both occasions have phoned the local unit supervisor once on the ground, both seemed embarassed that someone had understood what had been done, and offered no credible explanation. Incident 2 filed fromally to AENA through proper channels, who failed to investigate and report, as they fail to do on most occasions.

These are just 2 of MANY examples I have experienced inside Spanish airspace.....

My profession has plenty of examples of bad pilots, bad airmanship, which leads to some ATCO's as a generally bad perception of pilots. I suggest that we BOTH suffer from the same problems regarding perception, and that we all accept as usual the minority can badly tarnish the reputation of the majority....

My full support for your national situation, and my FULL support for SAFE and sensible working time practices to be reinstated URGENTLY.

Best wishes to you and your colleagues!!

30W