PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2010, 20:05
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOGA tap & probabilities

I fully recognize the necessity of the TOGA tap to reset the Airbus aircraft logic on GA. My question relates to the sensing of the throttles in the TOGA position. How reliable of a mechanism is the sensing element? If a mechanical switch, those can get bound up by cockpit dirt and "cookie crumbs." If a hall effect switch, perhaps part of the switch could detach from the moving element (The Throttle levers).
Suppose the failure probability of TOGA position sensing is 1 failure in 10,000 attempts, or 1 in 100,000 attempts. The consequences could be ugly (accelerating down the glide slope) and at those probability levels, bad things will eventually happen. For that matter, what percentage of the time will an Airbus PF miss hitting the TOGA stop when doing a TOGA tap?
So as Smilin Ed said earlier,
[quote][Maybe that needs to change. /QUOTE] meaning (I believe) that perhaps there is a better, more positive way to select a go around.

I'm quite sure that on a waveoff at the boat, Ed got the power up smartly (but smoothly) and "retracted the boards" as he rotated the aircraft.

ELAC, Nice job! Bullseye.

Last edited by Machinbird; 20th Jun 2010 at 20:22. Reason: Add reference to new prior posting.