PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The solution?
Thread: The solution?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2010, 12:36
FANS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The solution?

1) BALPA approved flightcrew

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain XXX speaking and I'd like to welcome you aboard etc.

Finally, I am pleased to confirm that this flight has a BALPA approved flightcrew."

Corresponding adverts in all newspapers articulating what a BALPA approved flight crew is and how it is geared to ultimate flight safety of pax and their families. It would be flightcrew on e.g. greater than min.wage; no upfront TR payments; no P2f etc ; selection on merit etc. and how this is imperative for safety and it is not about making pilots rich (which is often the perception).

It would also articulate that only those carriers meeting the above would add BALPA approved flightcrew in the captain's initial address; I'm sure such carriers would have no objection to allowing this.

Flyers would also be handed out at airports by you on your days off, which also allows SLF to ask questions and you to properly explain P2f etc.

It would then be once in the aircraft with doors locked that many people do not hear those words "BALPA approved flightcrew" and spend the flight worrying, and then consider whether it's worth the cost saving, especially when they've just received the flyer after check-in.

2) Good examples of airmanship and educating the public about how you save lives

SLF thinks you do nothing but press buttons. People need to hear about all the good work you guys do every day, which averts issues and makes for greater safety, rather than just the AAIB reports when things don't work. Quarterly awards to raise the profile.

3) Be more pro-active

This p2f situation is bordering on the crazy and I can't believe how far T&Cs have generally fallen, with no real response; the public not aware etc; CAA view? Equally to those airlines that are more reasonable, it makes it very tricky internally to justify the company paying TR/wages etc. when Micky's making a profit out of the RHS!

It could be like the banking crisis - everybody thought cheap credit (cheap tickets) was normal, that they'd be no crash (safety), internal risk reviews were watered down (as bonuses went up) and then after the crash, everyone's completely amazed by what went on.