PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadetship
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2010, 12:34
ZappBrannigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't really blame the kids for applying, or for not really listening to any advice not to apply. I applied for the QF cadetship a few years ago, shortly after I got my CPL - the reason being in my mind the only purpose for existence in aviation was to fly big shiny jets in the shortest amount of time possible. Even the concept of a single multi-command hour back then was super-exciting. Of course, as you progress in GA you learn about how the world really works, or how it should.

I certainly wouldn't have listened to any advice to not apply for the QF cadetship, as what possible reason could exist to NOT want to be up the front of a 747 in a Q uniform 2-3 years after being issued a CPL? Of course now I consider myself wiser, and this cadetship leaves me shaking my head a little.

I suppose my point is - don't expect any reasonable percentage of applicants to care in the slightest about comments on how they're "wrecking the industry". It's not until they've been up the front of that jet for a while that they'll probably start to realise that the other road, while harder and more frustrating, most likely leads to a brighter future. At this stage, they have very little industry knowledge, and just have their eyes fixated on the big jet they could be flying.

I don't see it as any different to people paying thousands of dollars for the privilege of flying some ICUS in a piston twin - blame the operator, but you can't blame the person forking over the cash - they simply don't know any better.