PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New (2010) Stall Recovery's @ high altitudes
Old 20th Jun 2010, 09:28
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BOAC
[PBL: Vs1g is a specific airspeed.]
- but varies with altitude, no?
Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

It varies with dynamic pressure. Maybe I can mention the term EAS and leave the rest to you?

It really is of no significance to a pilot how a wing stalls
What an extraordinary view. It appears to me to conflict with your earlier apparent interest in how a wing stalls:
my reply was to a post about high-level stalls where deploying LE devices will probably put you on your back........ The use of rudder to lift a stalled wing is ESSENTIAL and correct and MUST be taught. Use of aileron on a fully stalled wing will merely increase the wing drop (basic aerodynamics?) and will probably cause a spin.
Say you fly in or near a thunderstorm, and get hit with a strong gust. Is it all the same to you if the airplane suddenly pitches up more strongly than you can pitch down, or if your elevators don't appear to function any more to control pitch? Wouldn't it be preferable to have at least a modicum of understanding as to what might be going on, so that you can effect your desire
b) to recover if it does
?

[PBL: many pilots seem to be unaware of the aerodynamic phenomena which govern the behavior of their airplane. I don't think this disconnect can be healthy.]
...... The disconnect is between those who hold a mouse and those who hold a control column, and in my opinion reasonable.
You are welcome to your opinion. Sorry I misjudged you. I had understood from your previous posts that you were interested in what happens with a "fully stalled" wing.

PBL