PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2010, 09:27
210thars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vakakaaa,

The Latvians have a pretty good handle on the радиотехническая система ближней навигации (RSBN) when they show the РСП-6 at Andreapol at the link, this is the same antenna system that was in the photo at Smolensk North.
One of the main tasks of radio systems for aviation operations of all departments are the need for navigation and landing aircraft in adverse weather and at night. Before the advent of satellite navigation systems, these problems were solved with the help of ILS systems range navigation and landing. Most common in the world have ILS system, VOR / DME, ILS, TACAN and RSBN / PRMG.

What is not known is what the antenna it is being interfaced to on the left.

Two things are known however, there was a Par-10 at the beacon.

Photo of Par-10 mobile unit in Gaz-66 below. (Note cylinder on back of trailer.)

And the lantern that is used to send out Morse code and alert the aircraft on the position of the marker beacon during heavy fog was interfaced with the GAZ-66.

Par-10S at Kipelovo airfield below. Note lantern on top of building and T- antennas (3 prong).

I will state it again, there is no mention of the lantern being seen by the pilot on descent and quite frankly since the Russians have said parts of the CVR was damaged, the transcripts could very well be incomplete.

I am reminded of the saying, now for the rest of the story when I read the transcripts. Somehow, I don't think the rest of the story will be told.

Given the pre-flight on the poor weather being left out, I have to wonder what was told to the pilots in pre-flight. I saw one translation state the pilot said, no ILS?

Last edited by 210thars; 20th Jun 2010 at 09:42. Reason: correct first link